1. Gluten-free : Gluten is a protein component found in wheat and barley-based foods. It causes digestive problems such as bloating, pain, and stomach cramps. Jowar, a gluten-free whole grain, is considered an excellent alternative for people who suffer from ‘gluten intolerance’.
2. Jowar Rich in Fiber : Compared to other cereal grains like barley or rice, jowar contains a much higher concentration of fibre. A single serving contains over 12 grams, which is almost half the recommended daily intake for fibre. A high-fibre diet lowers the risk of obesity, stroke, high blood pressure, cardiac disease, diabetes, and digestive problems.
3. Jowar Controls Blood Sugar Levels : Jowar is a complex carbohydrate that digests slowly. As a result, it leads to stable blood sugar levels. Hence, it is a great diet choice for diabetics and people who want to lose weight.
jowar improves blood sugar levels
4. Jowar High in Protein : 100 grams of Jowar provides 11 grams of protein, which supplies the body with energy and aids in cell regeneration.
5. Full of Iron
Jowar contains 8.45 mg of iron in every cup. Since the iron in jowar is non-heme (difficult to absorb), pairing it with a source of Vitamin C will give you the maximum benefit.
6. Jowar Good for Bone Health
Because it contains high magnesium levels, jowar helps maintain calcium levels in the body (magnesium increases calcium absorption).
7. Packed with Vitamins, Minerals, and Micronutrients
It contains B vitamins, which help the body build new tissues and cells and potassium and phosphorus. Additionally, Jowar contains traces of zinc, copper, and over 20 micronutrients and high levels of antioxidants.
8. Jowar Helps Weight Loss
Jowar has a much higher concentration of dietary fibre when compared to other cereal grains. This high fibre content ensures higher satiety levels, lowering consumption by keeping hunger pangs at bay.
Therefore, the fibre content in Jowar reduces your appetite, making it the ideal whole grain option for weight loss.
9. Jowar Improves Digestive System
The high dietary fibre content in Jowar also helps improve digestion. The fibre is a bulking agent that helps stool pass smoothly through the digestive tract. The whole grain helps improve digestive health and helps to treat conditions like diarrhoea, bloating, stomach ache and constipation.
10. Jowar Improves Heart Health
The abundance of fibre in jowar helps lower LDL (or bad cholesterol) levels in the body, thus reducing the risk of a heart attack. The cholesterol-lowering properties of jowar also reduce the chances of hindered blood flow, arteriosclerosis and plaque formation.
The whole grain also contains antioxidants, apart from nutrients like magnesium, iron, and vitamins B and E. As a result, it helps avoid several cardiovascular conditions. Jowar also helps regulate plasma LDL cholesterol concentration while improving the HDL levels in the body.
improved heart health
11. Jowar Improves Energy Levels
Sorghum contains high amounts of niacin (or Vitamin B3). The B vitamin is integral in transforming food into energy usable by the body. Niacin ensures that the energy levels in the body are consistent throughout the day rather than observing sudden spikes of energy. A rich source of niacin, a single serving of Jowar accounts for 28% of the recommended daily intake.
12. Jowar Boosts Blood Circulation
Iron and copper are two essential minerals found in Jowar. These minerals come together to play a vital role in improving the body’s blood circulation. Iron is crucial to developing red blood cells in the body, while copper helps enhance iron absorption in the body. Thus, consuming the grain helps improve the development of red blood cells.
It also improves the overall circulation of blood in the body while reducing the chances of anemia. A single serving of Jowar can give you 58% of your daily recommended intake of copper.